Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Super Off Road is My Favorite Thing

Release Date: 1993
Developer:  The Leland Corporation
Genre: Racing
# of Players: 1-2


This is a game that I have fond memories of. My brother and I would go to my grandma's house and this was one of the few games that we could agree on and play. For a racing game during the 16-bit era it does an amazing job.

This games main premise is to race off road with trucks against three other drivers. You start the game by deciding whether there is going to be one or two players. My advice is to find a friend to play this game with because if there are two players, the game will never end and you do not have to deal with that awful game over screen and start with race one. Player one will get to be a red truck and player two will be the blue truck. Also racing are the yellow truck and that dreaded gray truck.

The gray racer usually always wins.
I call it the dreaded gray truck because if you are not going to win the race, you can be assured that he will. Before each race, you are allotted some cash to spend on nitros, tires, shocks, top speed, or wheels. After you spend your hard-earned cash you are sent to the beginning of the race. There are 99 races in all, but you race each one more than once. Each time you race a track it is a different experience. You may end up going through the track backwards or there may be a haystack in a place that it wasn't in a previous race. After the race is over you will get a championship scene with the top three racers and a valet.

I'm not a huge fan of racing games, but this is the first racing game that I can remember playing and enjoying. It is a fun game with pretty good graphics for the SNES. This game was originally an arcade game and released in 1989. It was not ported to the SNES until 1993. If you have an SNES or an SNES emulator I would recommend trying this game out.

No comments:

Post a Comment