Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

The Lion King is My Favorite Thing


If you are one of my friends, it is no surprise to you when I say, "I am a huge fan of Disney." Today I will be talking about one of my favorite Disney movies, The Lion King. It was produced during the Disney renaissance and was one of the last great Disney movies for a few years (not including Toy Story which is considered Disney/Pixar and I do not consider it a part of the Disney animated classics). A little known fact about The Lion King is that it is loosely based on the play Hamlet. 

There is one factor to why I love The Lion King so much and that is Scar. I believe that he by far is the best Disney villain. First of all, Scar's intentions throughout the movie are all based on jealousy. He is envious of his brother who was chosen to be king of the Pride Lands over himself. He becomes even more jealous when Mufasa's son Simba is born because he will be next in line and Scar will have no way to become king. This leads scar to attempt to kill both Simba and Mufasa, which he succeeds in the latter by pushing his own brother off a cliff. He then puts the thoughts into Simba's head that it was his fault that his father died. 

Another reason that I love Scar is that he has a huge following. While most villains have an idiot sidekick, Scar has a whole pack of Hyenas to do his bidding. He promises them that they will never go hungry again and they blindly follow his lead. He could almost be considered the Adolph Hitler of the animal kingdom. This is also where he sings my favorite villain song of all time, "Be Prepared." I have always wanted to play Scar in a production of The Lion King just so I could sing that song. 

I know that I have pretty much turned this post from "The Lion King is My Favorite Thing" to "Scar is My Favorite Thing", but he is the main reason I love The Lion King. I also really enjoy the music in this movie. I do not thing that there is a more recognizable opening to a song. As soon as you hear the Zulu at the beginning of the song, "Circle of Life," you just cannot help but sing along. I looked up the English translation to those words and here they are:

Here comes a lion
Oh yes, it's a lion
There comes a lion
Oh yes, it's a lion
We're going to conquer
It's a lion and a tiger

The English words are definitely not as exciting as the Zulu words. 

These are the reasons that I love The Lion King. It is up there with Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast as my favorite Disney movie. I would recommend that if you have never seen the movie (all three of you) then go and see it. It was truly the end of an era of great Disney movies. 

I also want to give a quick shout out to The Lion King video game on SNES. It is, by far, one of the hardest video games I have ever played. I had it when I was younger and now I play it on an emulator. Even with the save states, I cannot beat the game. After I asked the question, "What is the hardest video game you have ever played?" on Facebook, it was determined that Disney had some of the hardest games. People said The Lion King, Aladdin, and Toy Story were some of the hardest games they have played. Leave a comment with the hardest game you have ever played. 

No comments:

Post a Comment